Why wait until the end of the year to write a lengthy report when you
can share data early and often with dashboards? Leaders have more
important things to do than read lengthy reports. Dashboards get to the
point so that leaders can understand the numbers and take action.
During this course, we’ll build a dozen static dashboards together
from scratch right inside of good ol’ Microsoft Excel. These dashboards
will live inside of Excel and get shared with stakeholders as PDFs
through email or as printed handouts during meetings.
You’ll see sample dashboards from organizations like yours. I’ll
share the story behind each dashboard so that you can learn about each
dashboard’s audience and goals. For example, some of the dashboards were
designed to track progress towards goals. Other dashboards were
designed to help organizations compare their different program areas.
You can decide which elements of each dashboard would be most applicable
to your own work.
Is this course right for you?! I designed this course for people who
want to get their numbers out of spreadsheets and into real-world
conversations. Do you need to share data early, often, and easily with
others? You might need to share numbers with your clients, supervisors,
colleagues, or Board of Directors. Ditch the hundred-page Dusty Shelf
Report and bloated slideshows. Design one-pagers of key stats so that
leaders can understand the numbers and take action.
Browse the full course curriculum (below). You’ll learn about:
- data visualization design principles (a brief overview, not a full course);
- page layout considerations (graphic design techniques like grids, sketching, white space, and text hierarchies);
- major dashboard types (comparing categories, tracking progress towards goals, etc.); and
- dashboard design how-tos in Excel.
- access to dozens of video lessons;
- Excel files to create sample dashboards from scratch alongside my lessons;
- a detailed handout that illustrates the key points; and
- my Dashboard Cheat Sheet.